Moving to Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Compare International Movers
Request free quotes for Moving to Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Moving to Kolkata (Calcutta), India is an exciting journey. You are probably going to need a company specialized in international moving. Intlmovers is one of the most convenient moving services to help you plan an international move and gather moving quotes. Intlmovers is an online quotation comparison service that is completely free. So you can compare moving quotes and get the best price!
Using Intlmovers is one of the easiest ways to find the right international mover to compare moving quotations. Submit a moving request form from Kolkata. Your moving information is immediately forwarded to up to six international moving companies. They assist you with a quote or any questions you may have about how to pack for your move to the India. They will make contact with you directly in order to arrange a customized quote for your Kolkata move.
No obligation, all quotations are free!
Requesting a number of quotes in a single request helps you prepare a moving budget and get an idea of the services available. You don’t have to call movers or fill out multiple international move quotations separately. You save money not only by comparing their quotes. You can sample different services and related cost to your move. The best part about using this service is that you can use Intlmovers without any obligation whatsoever. You only accept quotes that you are completely satisfied will meet your moving requirements!
How www.intlmovers.com works
- Choose where you are moving to and from on the menu
- Select from the listed international movers
- Complete the simple online quotation request form
Reasons to take advantage of the Intlmovers service
- The international moving companies have years of experience with moves to Kolkata.
- You can avoid the stress by letting the movers manage the logistics and moving tasks.
- Conveniently compare international moving services in the comfort of your home.
Moving to Kolkata, India
Kolkata sits in the lower Ganges Delta, most of the surrounding city was once marsh land drained away to make room for development. This region does not have typical weather or seasons you would find in most countries. The average overall temperature is about 26°C/ 80°F.
You can expect warm summer like temperatures most of the year with a very short cool period between December and January where temperatures can range between 11°C-17°C (54°F-73°F). The climate is tropical hot to dry and it does have a monsoon season that last from June until September.
Kolkata formerly (Calcutta) sits on the Western province of Bengal India. It is home to the largest port in India. Kolkata was once the capital of India and economic center. Its wealth came from the trade routes established in 1690 by the East Indies Companies. During the movement for Independence during 1950s and 1960s, the heated political climate caused the Capital to be moved to New Delhi.
Today the economy in Kolkata is mainly commercial and Industrial. Many businesses thrive from textiles, pharmaceuticals, food processing, agriculture, electronics, engineering, and steel. The Economy has steadily been on the rise since the 1990’s. Many new global companies have moved their production centers to Kolkata to take advantage of the supply of skilled and unskilled labor diversity.
Kolkata is a fast paced city, its streets are crowded with traffic and its buildings remind you of an earlier time during the British colonial days. The infrastructure of Kolkata is quite good to acceptable. Some public services like electricity do not work regularly nor are trains always on time but that’s India. Kolkata is a good relocation city for families. There are plenty of international schools and a large international community.
Because of British occupation and recent arrival of large international companies, English is widely understood or spoken in Kolkata. There are a number of shopping malls, and commercial chain stores you can find just about anything you need. In the older part of Kolkata you still find traditional bazaars and open market places for spices, meats, prepared foods and textiles.
As always in Kolkata the rule is basically, you get what you pay for. If you are looking to keep your monthly expenses low it is very possible to live on a small budget with plenty left over at the end of the month. However, you may suffer from poor plumbing, bad water conditions or extremely noisy neighborhoods as with most major metropolitan cities.
On the other hand you can live in very clean comfortable conditions with extra luxuries but expect to pay a little more for it. There are plenty of beautiful properties, with pools, guest houses, and housekeeping that are still affordable but, the prices were raised closer to western standards recently.
Tips for Living in Kolkata
- Negotiating Prices – The Traffic in Kolkata is one of the most congested situations in the world. It is highly advised to live as close as possible to your place of work.
- Don’t rent without seeing what you have – Rentals are not all alike nor is there any standards. Check the plumbing, the water and inspect the property before you sign a lease. Unless you are using a trusted corporate real estate broker you can run into a lot of trouble such as illegal contracts or un-breakable contracts if you blind lease.
- Employment contracts – These are often negotiable and difficult to understand. Learn about the different types of work contracts that are available before you negotiate. A lot of expenses such a housing cost and food cost can be covered y your employer under the Indian employment schemes.
- Blackouts can happen – Sometimes with monsoons or high power demand the power can go out. Ask if your residence comes with a backup if not get one.
Cost of living
For most people coming from the West, the cost of living is very low and one of the things people enjoy about living in Kolkata. Food, gas, and utilities are pretty cheap. Housing cost are very low but again it all depends on what life style you choose and where your source of income is coming from. The salaries in India are quite low so it will really help to get a good idea of cost of living in Kolkata and prepare a budget before you come.
Before you can work in Kolkata, you need to have a work permit. Keep in mind that salaries are a lot lower so if you are use to making a large salary in a western country, it may not always be possible to draw the same or higher amount in India since salaries are 25% to 50% lower than the west. Most companies are not willing to hire an employee or manager at the same salary as the Director of a company.
If you are moving to Kolkata to take a job, get a good idea on expenses it will be helpful in negotiating your contract. Work contracts in India are all different and many employers will cover many employee expenses as standard practice including food, housing and transportation and healthcare. We offer a few tips on actual expenses and housing to get you started.
Current posted salary offerings
- English teacher – 8000- 9000 Rs. – $145/$162 mo.
- CAD Engineer /civil engineering – 18K-19K a year.
- PHP programmer with Java and .net experience – $1,800 to $5,000 mo.
Apartment cost in Kolkata
- Two bedroom flat apartment fully furnished near Minto Park very elegant 1400 sq. ft. $630 per mo.
- Two Bedroom apartment 1123 sq ft. Good water, security, parking and power back up in New Ailpore $378 per mo.
- 3 Bedroom Apartment near EM Bypass 1600 sq ft. water, security, power back up, parking $540 mo.
- Beautiful bungalow House to rent in Salt Lake City Kolkata, 2500 sq. ft. 4 bed 4 bath, fully furnished with dining hall good for corporate rental $1,800 mo.
* Note: It is illegal for non Indian Nationals to purchase property in India.
Getting an visa for India
India offers a variety of visas for residence and work. Visas are issued for visiting, work, research, study, business, projects or medical. It’s good to note that if you plan to work in India you must obtain an employment visa. You can apply for a visa to India in a few ways. You can apply at your local Indian Embassy in your country; you can apply with the government of India online.
You can even use a third party visa processing company who will handle all of your paperwork and get your visa processed quickly. Keep in mind you are not permitted to enter India without a valid visa. You must arrange for your visa and have it ready before travel.
Experience of our international movers
Once you have requested quotes you can feel confident in the knowledge that the companies who respond to you are reputable international moving companies. They have many years of trusted and reliable service to the international moving industry. That way, you can feel sure that your goods are being well handled and managed throughout the moving process to your new location in India.
Obligation free quotes
Rest assured that all requests that are made via Intlmovers are absolutely obligation free. You may receive up to six quotes for your international move to Kolkata. It’s completely up to you to take your time. Review your options and make your own choice about your preferred moving company. If you do not feel satisfied with any offers you receive, you are under no obligation to select any at all.