Moving to Chennai, India
Compare International Movers
Request free international moving quotes!
Moving to India requires good advice and the right movers to get you there. Intlmovers is one of the most convenient moving services to help you plan an international move and gather moving quotes. Intlmovers is a totally free online quotation service all you need to do is fill out your moving request and we do the rest!
Using Intlmovers is one of the easiest ways to find the right international mover to compare moving quotations. When you submit a moving request form Chennai, your moving information is immediately forwarded to up to six international moving companies who assist you with a quote or any questions you may have about how to pack for your move to the India. They will make contact with you directly in order to arrange a customized quote for your Chennai move.
Our Quotes are without Obligation!
Getting moving cost together can take a lot of time without the certainty of knowing who you are dealing with. Intlmovers can help by getting you in touch with several of our qualified reputable International moving companies. You don’t have to call movers or fill out multiple international move quotations separately. You save money not only by comparing their quotes, but you can sample different services and related cost to your move. The best part about using this service is that you can use Intlmovers without any obligation whatsoever. Only use our quotes if your are 100% completely satisfied!
How intlmovers.com works
- Choose where you are moving to and from on the menu
- Select from the listed international movers
- Complete the simple online quotation request form
Reasons to take advantage of the Intlmovers service
- The international moving companies have years of experience with moves to Chennai.
- You can avoid the stress by letting the movers manage the logistics and moving tasks.
- Conveniently compare international moving services in the comfort of your home.
Moving to Chennai, India
Planning to move to the capital city of India? Well, many people do because Chennai is considered one of the fastest growing cities in the world. It ranks number four in Forbes 100 cities hosting the majority of top 500 global companies. Chennai has one other added attraction that just may propel this city further than its economic rival Dubai, and that is, the lower cost of living and cheap labor force. Whilst the cost of living is extremely high in Dubai based on its inflated salaries, Chennai is one of the most affordable economically growing cities in the world.
Chennai is home to the production lines of just about every major automotive maker, Hyundai, Ford, BMW, Nissan Motors, Renault, just to name a few. Software and IT are also hot business for Chennai as major global banks have made the jump to Chennai in efforts to reduce the cost of their ballooning IT infrastructure. Names like Goldman Sachs, ABN Amro, The Royal Bank of Scotland, Bank of America, ING Group, Deutsche Bank, Citibank and Barclays are now all calling Chennai their IT headquarters.
This is only a short list of global companies listed in Chennai and this may only be the beginning. With so many international businesses moving to India a large number of long term or temporary international employees are making the move to Chennai and taking advantage of career opportunities. It is an exciting chance to meet locals and other expatriates while exploring a new country.
Living in Chennai is like living in any other major city. It is quite modern to industrial with a mix of architecture from early 1700 English Colonial times mixed with the colors and styles of Indian architecture. Its infrastructure is moderate to acceptable meaning its economic growth has not caught up with its infrastructure. Roads are very congested and the streets can be crowded during peak commute times.
The weather is also something many people need to get use to living in because it’s hot to humid most of the year. Summer is usually at its hottest in April thru June when temperatures can reach 43°C /108°F and winters remain at a steady 20°C / 68°F from Dec thru Feb. Chennai does receive heavy rain during the monsoon season which last April through October making conditions humid. Education is very good in Chennai and there are many international schools available for international working families.
Chennai and the surrounding country have a lot to offer for the adventurer. The country is covered in temples and buildings dating hundreds if not a thousand years or more old. In the city, you can enjoy Amusement Parks, Cinemas, Shopping Malls, Night Clubs, Bars and wonderful dinning. It’s a cultural experience like no other and an adventure to taste, see and experience all it takes is you.
Tips for Living in Chennai
- Transportation is rough – Traffic in Chennai is hectic to say the least. Try and live as close as possible to where you work. If you can commute by any other means other than a car or train, then do it.
- Don’t wait until it’s too late! – You need to provide your own health insurance or be able to pay upfront for services. There is good health care in Chennai but it can be very crowded. Get registered with a doctor as soon as you arrive.
- Know what to pay – There generally two prices in India, what locals pay and what foreigners pay. Pricing is often negotiable but it takes getting use to. Being a foreigner does not mean you need to lose your money get some help on pricing when you arrive.
- Get what you need – Not all apartments come standard with basic necessities. Air conditioning and water are not standard in India; some apartments ration your water usage but not all of them do. It gets very hot and humid so ask if your apartment comes with air conditioning and inspect the plumbing.
- Keep a back up – It’s not uncommon for black outs. Keep a backup generator for times you may need it.
What’s the cost of living like in Chennai?
India is a very inexpensive and relatively cheap place to live depending on where you draw your source of income. The average salary for IT services or IT Management level is between $16,000 and $19,000 a year and a software developer makes between $6,000 to $12,000 USD a year according to an independent research company. Salaries can come with bonus incentives, stock options or profit sharing. If you are moving to take employment, try and get healthcare covered in your employment contract. Many major healthcare providers will cover your medical expenses while you are in India. Otherwise you need to pay for healthcare through a private insurance carrier.
Utilities and food expenses, and household goods are very affordable. It’s good to get a full understanding of what salaries and expenses are before you negotiate a work contract or offer. We will try and give you some actual pricing to give you an idea but do investigate the possibilities for yourself.
Get an Idea on apartment cost in Chennai
- Two bedroom apartment in Perungudi 850 sq ft. nice area, parking, good water supply $269 mo.
- Two bedroom Flat in Edgemore 1000 sq ft. with water, garage, storage, AC, and more $449 mo.
- Three bedroom apartment in Alwarpet with water, lift, parking and more $718 mo.
* Note: It is illegal for non Indian Nationals to purchase property in India.
Getting an visa for India
Getting a visa residence visa in India can be done a few ways. If your company is sponsoring you or you are taking a job offer its best to let them handle the visa. The Indian government takes the details of your application very seriously meaning even a misspelled word or word they cannot recognize can delay your visa. To help you understand how to fill out a visa application it is best to make an appointment at your local Indian Embassy get the proper information and get your visa approved before you enter India.
The information listed online is limited and subject to changes. An Embassy or an approved paid visa processing agency can help get your visa processed and expedited.
Experience of our international movers
Once you have requested quotes you can feel confident in the knowledge that the companies who respond to you are reputable international moving companies. They have many years of trusted and reliable service to the international moving industry. That way, you can feel sure that your goods are being well handled and managed throughout the moving process to your new location in India.
Obligation free quotes
Rest assured that all requests that are made via Intlmovers are absolutely obligation free. Whilst you may receive up to six quotes for your international move to Chennai, it is completely up to you to take your time, review your options and make your own choice about your preferred moving company. If you do not feel satisfied with any offers you receive, you are under no obligation to select any at all.